Van Der Graaf Generator - The Masters CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

5 stars This record is low fi, that's a sad fact. However I am currently part way through a re-record (not my first attempt at this recording) at least with equalisation something valuable can be salvaged from this frustrating disk. This is the point my friends this record is not for the casual visitor or the critic, this is all that remains of utterly irreplaceable slabs of VDGG from their most essential period and for that reason it gets all five stars from me. The Liquidator alone is nearly perfect a great little track that is worth a thousand plays. There is a lot of chaotic stuff that hints at the moments that survived of the eyewitness soundtrack although these are not those tapes. The best moment is quite late when the band run two tracks together without peters voice and that is an extraordinary moment in what is a muddled record at best. Essential to real VDGG fans and nobody else I remain very glad of it's existence because frankly far far too little VDGG was recorded properly. Sadly VDGG's legacy is full of poor recordings of gigs, here we have moments from a lost time, and what's more these are moments from England's most interesting if not completely likeable band.
burgersoft777 | 5/5 |