Porcupine Tree - Nil Recurring CD (album) cover

Porcupine Tree

4 stars Oh no! Not again! I liked the first Nil album much better.

Well, not really as this is really Nil for the first time. It would have been nice if it could have been offered initially in a package with Fear Of A Blank Planet, but I suspect that's in the works at some point. What you get here is some nice supplemental material to FOABP, which was written during the same recording sessions and finished up after it's release.

I like this a little better than FOABP so I think this bodes well for the next regular Porcupine Tree release. We get Robert Fripp doing a nice cameo on the first track, Nil Recurring. Normal is a reprise,. of sort, of Sentimental from FOABP. I love that opening sitaresque guitar lick. Cheating the Polygraph is a nice mix of heavy and mellower bits. The final track is an instrumental, What Happens Now. It has a Porcupine Tree first, a guest on electric violin, Ben Coleman. Some of the parts hearken back to pre-In Absentia PT. Nice percussion work by Harrison in addition to the usual excellent drumming.

If you haven't picked this one up, the first run of CDs were only 5,000, so now your only option to get it is pay for download. This is certainly an essential acquisition for PT fans.

Slartibartfast | 4/5 |