The Reasoning - Awakening  CD (album) cover

AWAKENING

The Reasoning

Slartibartfast
4 stars I'm a little surprised this band hasn't attracted more attention. Something about them really clicked with me when I heard the title track, Awakening, in streaming. They bear a certain similarity to Pure Reason Revolution, though they aren't exactly clones. Both have an attractive female vocalist/instrumentalist, along with more than one male vocalist/instrumentalists. Both have strong vocal harmonies, are from the U.K., utilize progressive musical elements, have the potential for popular appeal, and have "reason" in their names.

I'm pretty certain if you like one, you'll like the other. The main difference I see is that PRR has more of a psychedelic edge to it and the Reasoning more of a metal edge. I have found both of these bands to be rather addicting. I got hooked on the former earlier in 2007 and these guys towards the end. For what it's worth, this old prog fan is really enjoying what these young'uns are doing.

According to an excerpt from the band's about statement "The Reasoning were born out of necessity. Necessity to play and necessity to bring music to people who desired more than just rock and more than just prog." Uhm, OK.

Awakening was a couple of years in the making. Fortunately, as I write this, they have another one in the works. Be sure and check out their web site. It's way cool! Also of note, and Marillion fans may already be aware of it, Steve Rotherty puts in a cameo on Within Cold Glass.

Slartibartfast | 4/5 |