Harmonium - Harmonium CD (album) cover

2 stars Living on the other side of the Atlantic (Belgium), I had never heard of this Canadian band in the mid seventies. I discovered it almost four years ago thanks to PA.

This album is essentially (if not all) folk-rock oriented. Acoustic, peaceful and at times melodic. Prog is not yet on the rendez-vous, I'm afraid.

Of course, I have never been into true folk music (which this album is), but since the band was referenced in the symphonic genre, I decided to give this band a try and it was rather a deception. I really wonder what's all the fuss about this release.

Some pleasant acoustic songs like Aujourd'hui Je Dis Bonjour la Vie or Pour un instant but nothing to write home about. This album sounds different from the others of Harmonium which will be more progressive in their essence. This one is not IMHHO (in my humble and HONEST opinion).

It is fully melancholic, even a bit sad at times ("De la Chambre au Salon"). The closing number, Un musicien Parmi Tant d'Autres on the contrary is more joyful, positive. It reminds me of the quiet parts of Stagnation (From Trespass).

Two stars.