Rush - Moving Pictures CD (album) cover

fighting sleep
4 stars A lot of Rush's popularity is hard for me to understand. Albums like 2112 and A Farewell to Kings have completely failed to hold me for longer than a minute before finding something else to listen to.

But, in a moment of weakness, I decided to give "Moving Pictures" a chance. And I surprised myself by finding my opinion the same as the ranks of PA as well as the rest of the world: this album is a masterpiece.

The album works like this: amazing musicianship from everybody combining into something shockingly accessible. Of course, it helps that the production is fantastic; every element is perfectly in place on Moving Pictures. Every track is a standout, balancing guitars and synths in perfect tandem.

This is a brilliant album, which links together the proggy spirit of the seventies with the synthy soul of the eighties. And while it's not enough to redeem the rest of Rush's catalogue, I heartily recommend it.

fighting sleep | 4/5 |