Allan Holdsworth - I.O.U. CD (album) cover

I.O.U.

Allan Holdsworth

UMUR
4 stars I have owned Allan Holdsworth´s album Secrets for years but never listened to anything else from him. It was first when I read a review of Meshuggah where Frederik Thordendal was compared to Holdsworth that my interest was renewed.

I started with I.O.U. as I read a lot of nice reviews about this one, and there is absolutely no doubt that this is Holdsworth. The man has a very distinct guitar style and sound. I really love his kind of ambient yet technical rythm style. His solos on this album are also fantastic stuff. He is very fast, but I don´t think this is his main force. It´s more his choice of notes that are a bit untraditional. I hear jazz, but I also hear more avant garde things in his style. There are of course also a bit of rock there. It clear to hear why many modern day guitarists especially in the metal world are influences by Allan Holdsworth.

This would have been a masterpiece if it wasn´t for the IMO horrific vocals. Jazzy and misplaced this sounds like a drunk John Wetton. Not in my taste at all. It´s really too bad because the instrumental songs are really excellent and the songs with vocals are really good too when you try to block out the vocal parts. I guess it´s an aquired taste if you like the vocals, but sadly they turn me off.

I would have given this 5 stars if it wasn´t for the vocal style and the somehow odd vocal melodies. It´s still an excellent album though, even though it has flaws. I´ll be looking forward to listening to more albums from Holdsworth that´s for sure.

UMUR | 4/5 |