Harmonium - Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquième Saison CD (album) cover

SI ON AVAIT BESOIN D'UNE CINQUIÈME SAISON

Harmonium

ZowieZiggy
3 stars I was not overwhelmed with joy while listening to the first album of Harmonium. Basic folk songs all the way through. Nothing to write home about actually.

My expectations were quite high while I discovered their second album (and presumably their masterpiece) Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquième Saison.

This album doesn't start any better. Vert is just another folkish French tune (even if this is a Canadian band) and Dixie is probably the worst song that Harmonium has ever produced. Not a brilliant start for a masterpiece.

The first great song from this album is Depuis l'Automne. A mix of acoustic matters and some superb mellotron (but not as much as I would have liked). This melodic song is of course pleasant, but frankly : there are hundreds of better ones featured on this site for review. The crescendo vocal finale is a good moment, I confess.

The relative short En Pleine Face is again purely in the folk vein. Nothing to do with symphonic prog. But the story is finally different with the closing epic (it was about time to get a true great song). Mellotron- based, it features some great instrumental parts (most of it).

Actually, there aren't lyrics here (hence the title : story without words). This long song is a good mix between folk and symphonic prog. Excellent flute backed up with sweet acoustic guitars. A beautiful and delicate work. By far the best track available on this album. I usually only listen to Histoires Sans Paroles while spinning this album.

My general feeling is that I don't necessarily need a fifth season. Four is OK. If it weren't for the great closing number, this album would be just an average one on my scale. As such three stars. This album is by far the most overrated on PA. A good work, not more.

ZowieZiggy | 3/5 |