Timothy Pure - Blood Of The Berry CD (album) cover

BLOOD OF THE BERRY

Timothy Pure

UMUR
3 stars Blood Of the Berry really surprised me as I was expecting to hear some Neo prog with dominant keyboards and a boring singer, but Timothy Pure turns out to be something else. The neo prog tendencies are there allright and especially Marillion is a band that Timothy Pure has listened to, but I also hear some Pink Floyd there. But generally I donīt think Timothy Pure really sound like anyone else.

The sound on Blood of the Berry is very warm and lots of chorus and reverb makes this a grand production which is something I really like. The keyboard and piano parts are not controlling the music as in most neo prog. The strong voice of Matthew Still is very much what the music evolves around. I also think the guitarist plays some nice things throughout the album without ever being original though.

The mood of the album is pretty dark which is a rarity on prog rock albums, and very welcome in my world. Timothy Pure seems pretty angry at times but it never reaches any heavy metal tendencies even though the feelings are very intense.

There are not many different parts in the songs and they are basically in the radio rock format, which is my biggest regret with this album. There are interludes of different things like Blood Of The Berry and The Interim but itīs not enough to make the album more exciting.

It seems like Timothy Pure has lots of talent and songwriting skill, but I think they need the last push for them to become excellent. all in all this is a very good prog rock album that could have been better with more deviances from the formula. 3 stars is fair here.

UMUR | 3/5 |