Gilgamesh - Gilgamesh CD (album) cover

GILGAMESH

Gilgamesh

Canterbury Scene

UMUR
4 stars This would normally not be something I would like. My preferred taste doesnīt include jazzy canterbury rock tunes ( I like the Canterbury bands that are more rock than jazz like Caravan), but I must admit that Gilgamesh is pretty convincing. There are lots of fine moments on this album, and I am greatly entertained throughout the lenght of the album.

This is more jazz than rock though and the mood is pretty mellow and nice. Alan Gowen who plays various keyboards and piano on the album is the most outstanding musician in my opinion. He plays very subtle and intelligent notes. The other musicians are also outstanding. There are no vocals on the album, but it is one of those rare albums where I donīt miss them.

The sound quality is very good IMO and it helps to emphazise the outstanding musicianship.

To me this is a 4 star album, even though this is not my preferred style, I guess sometimes you find something in genres you normally wouldnīt like much that just stands out from the rest. Gilgamesh is very accesible and to me that is a plus. I would recommend this to people who like me are a little reluctant trying out the jazzy side of Canterbury.

Great album.