The Soft Machine - Fourth CD (album) cover

FOURTH

The Soft Machine

Canterbury Scene

Grimfurg
4 stars This is a punch in the face, a breath of fresh air. It's Soft Machine's Fourth.

Actually, this is a very complicated album critic-wise. On the other hand, you have those who think that this is Soft machine's true first album, where they become a true jazz fusion band. And those who think this is SM's crash point. Well I'm actually a bit with both, except that I'm not pejoratising anything I like both of their eras. What I really love here is the fact that this is sadly Wyatt's last album, and that he could work on a sort of structured piece of work. Elton Dean's saxophone is the main instrument in the album, along side with a quite strange keyboard lead that kind'of sounds like a kazoo (it's pretty bad ass when it's mixed up with sax). What I like wit this album is that it's a long version of the 18 minute long song off of Third named Slightly All The Time. It has a fast 60's/50's jazz beat thrown with Rhodes Piano, as well as your ambient-ish Jazz Fusion, which Soft are very known to do. And the Virtually series is bad ass, very powerful.

I don't much to say, this is a good album, it could've had 5 stars seriously, it's jut that there's some lack of originality, it's probably why Wyatt left and formed the awesome Matching Mole. But it's a very good album, a must have for jazz fans.

Grimfurg | 4/5 |