Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet CD (album) cover

FEAR OF A BLANK PLANET

Porcupine Tree

Moatilliatta
4 stars Porcupine Tree has become the hottest thing in progressive rock. A great band to be sure, but do they really deserve all of the acclaim they have been getting lately, more specifically, is this album really all that everyone is making it out to be?

Simply put, no.

This record is definitely good, and there are moments of pure musical bliss and ingenuity, but I can list at least 5 albums from this year right off the top of my head that blow away this one. And I can't say this is remotely perfect. I think "My Ashes" and especially the closing track, "Sleep Together," are a bit weak. The album really takes a hit for having a weak closing, and it's not even that it makes a poor closing track, the song in itself is boring and the overall tone of the song and Steven's vocals cane be bothersome. I also think the two preceeding albums are better than this one.

Now, I am coming off a little strong here - all of the other tracks are excellent - but I just can't believe how so many prog fans are salivating over this thing and completely neglecting the true best album of the year: Colors by Between the Buried and Me. That is true innovation, complexity, emotion and consistancy at work.

I am a big fan of Porcupine Tree, and I do like this record quite a bit, but I can not agree with the overwhelming number of people lauding this above more worthy releases.

Moatilliatta | 4/5 |