Los Jaivas - Alturas de Macchu Picchu CD (album) cover

Prog Folk

NotAProghead
Errors & Omissions Team
5 stars A masterpiece

There are enough reviews on this album, so I guess no one will read mine :)).

Breathtaking from start to finish, powerful and gentle, when needed. Sometimes the band sounds like an orchestra because of lots instruments used (especially dual keyboards, grand piano and synthesisers, and different ethnic woodwinds). No weak moments at all, but my personal highlights are epical ''La poderosa muerte'' (I'm not too original here) and catchy ''Sube a Nacer Conmigo Hermano''.

Great poetry by Pablo Neruda. If you, like me, don't speak Spanish, you can find translations to many languages.

The album is much more accessible than another great LOS JAIVAS work, ''Obras de Violeta Parra''.

In my opinion ''Alturas de Machu Picchu'' is LOS JAIVAS best album. A must have. Very good starting point for those who are new to the band's music, only the same-name DVD is better. 5 stars without any hesitation.

NotAProghead | 5/5 |