Iron Butterfly - Heavy CD (album) cover

HEAVY

Iron Butterfly

Proto-Prog

UMUR
2 stars I think this is one of those albums where you had to have been there at the time of the release to really enjoy it today. Listening to this today as a new listener I think itīs really dated and not that good. I know Iron Butterfly is a very famous band, but with this debut release Iīm not quite sure why. There were so many other good albums released in 1968 that I donīt understand why I should bother listening any more to this one.

The music is basically blues rock with what sounds like a very wasted singer and lots of organ. Some times there are some heavy sounding guitars, but donīt expect Black Sabbath heavy. Songs like Possesion, Unconscious Power and Iron Butterfly Theme are pretty good songs, but songs like the repetitive Get Out of My Life, Woman and Stamped Ideas drag this album down IMO.

The sound is muddy sixties quality and not very impressive.

This is a 2 star album for me and I donīt think itīs very progressive. Maybe for the time this was really heavy stuff, but the quality in the compositions are not good enough to satisfy my modern ears.

UMUR | 2/5 |