Sigur Rós - Ágćtis Byrjun CD (album) cover

Sigur Rós

Post Rock/Math rock

5 stars I strongly doubt about a true progressive link between post-rock and prog music, but since the genre is here, I'll value this release as it is: a masterpiece of post rock.

But still I doubt something else: is Sigur Ros really a post-rock band? I think not entirely, not as Mogwai, GY!BE or Explosions in the Sky; not as bland as that post rock, though not as direct as Alternative Rock (IMO the closest thing to post rock); that's what fits with Sigur Ros' music, and with this release too.

Agaetis Birjun (translated "A good start") is one of the quintessential albums of modern music, prog or not. Elegant yet not cheesy, bland yet not tedious, the whole album is all an experience, from the dreamy Svefn-g-englar to the incredibly beautiful Viđrar vel til Loftárása, marked all along the album with Jonsi's atmospheric guitar sound. Starŕlfur is probably the most accomplished song ever made in the alternative scene. Agaetis Birjun still demonstrates people that there's no need of complexity in the music; it's all about creativity; being creative, it's not hard to reach beauty and, again, prog or not. Five stars.

sircosick | 5/5 |