Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath CD (album) cover

BLACK SABBATH

Black Sabbath

UMUR
5 stars MY NAME IS LUCIFER, PLEASE TAKE MY HAND.

This is without a doubt one of the most important albums ever made. Black Sabbath isnīt essentially a prog rock band though, but rather the first ever true heavy metal band. They have inspired hordes of bands ( Especially metal bands) and made some truly unique music. Wether or not you like their primitive and raw style they are a very influential band. Other bands had made heavy albums before this one, but no one had ever made a full album with heavy metal before. Power chord riffing throughout the whole of the album. People didnīt really realise it at the time, but this was the birth of a new genre: Heavy Metal.

The music is in some places inspired by blues rock but always played raw and dirty like no one else at the time. Ozzyīs vocal lines where sharp and precise and his voice fitting the music very well. Toni Iommiīs guitar riffs where sharp and heavy and with the wonderful rythm section of Geezer Butler on Bass and Bill Ward on drums the band was complete. The press hated them but the audience loved them, which meant that Black Sabbath quickly became a very big band. This was probably what destroyed the original lineup in the end. The quick rise to fame and the temptations that followed. This album came out in 1970 and a few years later all of the members where heavily into drugs and alcohol. The tensions between them and their musical differences were too much for Ozzy in the end and he left Black Sabbath to pursue a solo career. Black Sabbath has been through many incarnations since but they have never topped those early influential albums.

On this album all was still well though and Black Sabbath made some really excellent music.

The album starts off with the extremely doomy song Black Sabbath which for most of the song consist only of three notes played really slow with Ozzyīs chanting evil sounding vocals on top. The first ever doom metal song. The song ends with a more uptempo riff that rocks really well. The lyrics are pretty explicit stuff, especially for the time. Occultism and satanism. Great song, I just love it.

The next three songs are great classic Black Sabbath songs, full of heavy yet melodic riffing. Especially N.I.B is a favorite of mine. The headline of my review is taken from the lyrics to that song. Just great dark poetry. Donīt mistake Black Sabbath for a satanist band, they just flirt with occultism in their lyrics.

Evil Woman is probably the weakest of the songs on the album. Itīs not a bad song, but it is quite obviously a blues cover song done the Black Sabbath way. On the US release of the album Evil Woman is replaced by the song Wicked World. Unfortunately I havenīt heard that song because my version is the european one.

Sleeping Village is the longest song here. 10 minutes+ and it is one of the longest Black Sabbath songs ever. Itīs full of soloing from Toni Iommi, and some jam like parts from the rythm section. This is a real beauty if you ask me. Itīs one of the best jams I have ever heard. Itīs a bit out of the ordinary for Black Sabbath though as their songs are usually pretty tightly structured.

Warning is another cover song, but it is very good and nothing like the blues inspired Evil Woman.

The sound quality is very good, and surprisingly this might be the best production of the first 4 Black Sabbath albums. Really nice.

If you havenīt got this album you donīt love music itīs as simple as that. Black Sabbathīs second album Paranoid is probably a little better than this their debut, but this album is certainly not far behind. I have always loved the first two Black Sabbath albums a lot and I canīt rate this less than 5 stars, even though the album is not progressive in the normal sense of the word. Itīs very innovative and genre defining though and thatīs even more important if you ask me.

MASTERPIECE OF HEAVY METAL.

UMUR | 5/5 |