NoSound - Lightdark CD (album) cover

LIGHTDARK

NoSound

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Paper Champion
2 stars I wish there were no sounds here.

Well, before I got this album I had read that Nosound sounds like (early) Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Pink Floyd and most post-rock bands and I thought that it would be my cup of tea perhaps, but now I can say that unfortunately I don’t like this record.

I can hear here neither post-rock/ambient (Nosound has nothing to do with God Is An Astronaut, for instance), nor inspired art rock (early Porcupine Tree is much better IMHO).

About butterflies and children (-/10) is just a 3-minute keyboard/piano intro, which seems to me a bit senseless. Places Remained (4/10) is a strongly inspired by early PT stuff track with an enjoyable bass and a good guitar solo, but there’s nothing special/new for me. The Misplay (2/10) is a very boring track with some changes at the symphonic end. From Silence And Noise (3/10) – well, here we have a 15-minute epic! The first 8 minutes is just a monotonous sound with vocals, then a guitar solo at least somehow enriches the song, but the last 5 minutes of the track is so boring that I can hardly listen to the whole song from beginning to end... Someone Starts To Fade Away (3/10) – here we have nice guitar solos, but again there’s nothing interesting here. Kites (6/10) is probably the best track on the album. Fortunately, this track contains drums and even an inaudible rhythm and very nice violins and symphonic instruments; vocals are very Wilson-like. Lightdark (3/10) is 8-minutes track with some sounds and guitar solos, but once again there’s nothing catching/intriguing/charming here...

No rich and beautiful atmospheres. Just senseless sounds followed by guitar solos. Nosound just can’t manage to write high-quality post-rock/ambient stuff at the moment. Hope, in the future they will.

Paper Champion | 2/5 |