Porcupine Tree - Up The Downstair CD (album) cover

UP THE DOWNSTAIR

Porcupine Tree

UMUR
3 stars Porcupine Treeīs second album Up the Downstair is a clear improvement over their somewhat weak debut album. The drums are once again programmed, and I think it spoils a bit when the rest of the music are pretty organic but I guess that it is an aquired taste.

The overall production is much better than on the debut and Steven Wilsonīs vocal perfomance is also better here. The vocals are pretty sparse though as the emphasis is generally on the instrumental parts of which there are plenty. Mostly soloing.

I canīt help being happy after listening to the two first songs What you are listening to.... and Synesthesia the drug reference is just so funny even though Synesthesia reminds me a bit about some of the silly songs from the debut. Always Never and Fadeaway are also highlights to me while the two long songs Up the Downstair and Burning Sky is a bit too repetitive and drawn out for my taste.

Overall this is a good prog rock album, but not special in any way. 3 stars will be my rating.

UMUR | 3/5 |