Utopia - Todd Rundgren's Utopia CD (album) cover

The Pessimist
5 stars What a direly underated album from an underated band!

The way I see it is already mentioned before me: proggers don't WANT to give this album a listen because Todd is a pop guy, not prog. However, he can compose both superbly i think.

The highlights of the album are undoubtedly Utopia's Theme and The Ikon, which are amongst my favourite epics of all time. The other two are also brilliant, but nowhere near the standards of the first and ultimate songs. There is also a strong sense of eclecticism within, as well as some straight forward rock n roll. I recommend it to most prog heads, and encourage them not to be put off by Todd Rundgren's poppy past. Certainly a forgotten masterpiece.

The Pessimist | 5/5 |