Magma - Köhntarkösz CD (album) cover

KÖHNTARKÖSZ

Magma

Zeuhl

The T
4 stars I have to say a few words about my first encounter with the Zeuhl genre. As much has been said before (and by reviewers who know this music better) I'll just limit to describe what I think of the album. I really didn't pay attention to the vocals and the lyrics in the made-up Kobaiian language. There's no point in doing that. What really should grab your attention in this album is the instrumental music (95% of the disc) that really reaches unique heights.

What the music produced in my mind is the idea of a lava lake in a dark cave, probably the crater of a volcano, which at the same time resembled hell, with little demons dancing around while the flames burst and bubble from the big pond. The constant piano figure that adorns the music made me think in little tiny red devils that dance around my surprised body, watching an event both grotesque and magnificent at the same time. I'm pretty sure MAGMA never intended to create such a concept, but music is wonderful when we cannot agree in what it creates in our mind. And this is what it created in mind.

The vast instrumentals (where ideas get repeated but developed as well), the fusion of rock with jazz (cold, icy jazz at that), the dissonant harmonies, the instrumental marvels, the precise drumming, the textures, all of that helps create a picture that leaves an impression on your mind, even if the music doesn't touch your heart.

And that's why I give this album only 4 stars. It's my review and therefore it has to reflect my opinion but also my taste and what I got from the art. My mind was thrilled, my brain was beating, yet my heart wasn't. This is music that I can enjoy when I'm in need of brain-incentives, but not on an every-day basis.

A piece of art. For historical and musical reasons, this would get a 5. Adding my own feelings to the rating, it gets a 4.

Essential. If not for me.

The T | 4/5 |