Zero Hour - Metamorphosis CD (album) cover

METAMORPHOSIS

Zero Hour

UMUR
4 stars The second album from Zero Hour called The Towers of Avarice impressed me a great deal. It´s a really dark and math like progressive metal style that I find pretty innovative. But before Zero Hour made that excellent album, they had released their self-titled debut album in 1999. Metamorpheous is a re-issue of that album and not the third album from Zero Hour. It´s pretty important to bear in mind when listening to Metamorpheous, because if you expect this to be the successor to The Towers of Avarice you might be disappointed. Not that Metamorpheous is a bad album in any respect, but it´s not quite as innovative or well produced as The Towers of Avarice.

I haven´t heard the original edition of this album, but I can see that some songs have been added. Both Rebirth and A Passage are very good songs that together with the original songs make´s this album excellent in my eyes/ ears. Allthough the style is a bit different from The Towers of Avarice I really like this style too. Unlike the very stripped down The Towers of Avarice this one is filled with keyboards and there are even keyboard solos.

The production is not really good, but it´s ok.

The real asset here besides the competently played and melodic progressive metal is lead singer Erik Rosvold who I already praised in my review of The Towers of Avarice. He has a very distinct and powerful voice and his delivery is so emotional in every way that he alone pulls this album from 3 stars to 4. That man is one of my favorite progressive metal singers without a doubt. Too bad he left Zero Hour after The Towers of Avarice. Metamorpheous might have been released after his departure, I´m not sure.

I still prefer The Towers of Avarice over this one, but Metamorpheous is not far behind. It´s a very worthy purchase if you´re into progressive metal that are a bit darker than your average prog metal band.

UMUR | 4/5 |