Ange - Le Cimetière des Arlequins CD (album) cover

LE CIMETIÈRE DES ARLEQUINS

Ange

UMUR
4 stars What an improvement from Ange´s debut Caricatures. This is great symphonic prog rock. Don´t be afraid to try this one out even though the lyrics are in French. If you don´t understand French like me, this will probably never be a masterpiece album, as I feel some emotions get lost when you don´t understand the language but it comes damn close in my book as the music is excellent.

The sound quality is kind of murky but I think it adds to the atmosphere of Le Cimetière des Arlequins. For once a technicaly weak production is something the music profits from.

The music is very Peter Gabriel era Genesis inspired, but don´t take Ange for a clone band they definitely have their own style. Lead singer Christian Decamps is a very expressive vocalist. He talk/ sings a lot using different voices and moods. I really wish I could understand what he is singing about. There are lots of Mellotron in the songs which is something I really love. Especially the very atmospheric way it´s played here.

The musicians are competent and there are no weak links.

Note the very beautiful cover art, it´s very unique.

This album has been a real surprise to me as I wasn´t too impressed with Ange´s debut Caricatures which I found good but a bit mediocre. Le Cimetière des Arlequins is in the same vein but much better. 4 stars for this excellent second album almost isn´t enough. I can´t wait to hear more. ( Maybe I should take courses in French).

UMUR | 4/5 |