Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts CD (album) cover

PAWN HEARTS

Van Der Graaf Generator

UMUR
4 stars The fourth album from Van der Graaf Generator called Pawn Hearts is where they start to shine IMO. I have always had the greatest respect for Van der Graaf Generator as musicians and innovators but never found that their music suited my prefered style. As many others I have always had an ambivalent relation to Peter Hammillīs theatrical singing, but this time it seems his voice suits the music well. Pawn Hearts is just too good and original to by ignored.

The music is driven very much by Peter Hammillīs strange melody lines and theatrical singing style, but Hugh Banton and his organ and synths are also a great part of Van der Graaf Generatorīs sound. Peter Jackson has had an increasingly bigger role on each new album from Van der Graaf Generator and on Pawn Hearts his sax and flute playing is outstanding. The drums from Guy Evans is also strong and varied. Itīs hard to describe Van der Graaf Generatorīs music really because there are so many things happening, but strange and theatrical prog rock might be a suiting description.

The sound quality is very good on Pawn Hearts and a real treat to listen to.

The album consist of three long epic tracks. Lemmings and Man-Erg are my favorites while A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers is also great, but not as good as the first two songs.

I know many consider this to be a masterpiece and I can understand why. This is a very original album and I can see it inspiring many. I also think this is a great album, but I think it is a bit too unaccessible for me personally to be a masterpiece and therefore this is a 4 star album for me. Itīs highly recommendable though and it is a must in every prog rock collection.

UMUR | 4/5 |