Chroma Key - Dead Air for Radios CD (album) cover

DEAD AIR FOR RADIOS

Chroma Key

Psychedelic/Space Rock

UMUR
3 stars When Kevin Moore left Dream Theater after Awake, I never thought I would hear about him again, but he has since been involved in a couple of projects both heavy metal related in Fates Warning and OSI and with his more ambient solo project Chroma Key. Dead Air for Radios is the debut album from Chroma Key. Donīt expect this to sound like Dream Theater at all even though Kevin Moore was a key figure in that band. The only Dream Theater song this vaguely reminds me of is Space Dye West, the closing number on Awake.

The music on Dead Air for Radios is very ambient and mellow. There is generally a melancholic mood about the album which Kevin Mooreīs lyrics and bleak yet warm singing style also emphazises. You can to a degree call this rock music as there are drums ( electronic) and rock structures in the songs, but Kevinīs omnipresent piano and keyboard playing makes this very special indeed. Itīs clear to hear that Dream Theater lost a great asset when Kevin Moore left. IMO they have yet to find a good replacement. Kevin Mooreīs melodic style is not easily copied.

The songs are in a similar vein and the only song that stands out from the rest is the ambient almost techno inspired song Camera 4. It is a very evocative song with lots of samples and a good variation on an album were the songs tend to be a bit too similar in mood and orchestration.

The sound quality is good, even though especially the electronic drum sound seems a bit dated here 10 years after the release. So much have happened with electronic drum sound in those years, that this isnīt really up to date. Kevin Mooreīs drum programming skills arenīt the best either. He has a very simple style. I miss a bit more variation on the drums. I think a real drummer would have made the difference.

This is a very pleasant album, and it is without a doubt prog rock. Itīs not very complex though and rely much on moods and emotion and succeeds with that. Iīll typically listen to this on a sunday with a hangover, but never to satisfy my desire for complex or intricate prog rock and therefore I will rate it 3 stars. Itīs good but lacks a bit of complex structures to make me really happy.

UMUR | 3/5 |