Primus - Antipop CD (album) cover

4 stars I'd like to offer a dissenting opinion of this album. To me it is PRIMUS' best work, a heady concoction of borderline prog-metal with an enormous slab of funk funk and lyrics which, surprisingly, verge on the meaningful. Even LES CLAYPOOL's off-key singing is listenable.

This is what 'Antipop' gives you: great tunes, simple song structures, clearer production than the traditional muddy PRIMUS sound and, of course, CLAYPOOL's bizarre and self-conscious humour. And, above all, the album is a showcase for CLAYPOOL's astonishing virtuosity with the bass guitar. There are no pointless tracks on this album, previously the curse of PRIMUS recordings: all the tracks are interesting at least and spectacular at best. Just give 'Greet the Sacred Cow' a listen. I'm still not sure I can bring myself to think of PRIMUS as progressive, but they're certainly worth checking out.

If you want to give this band a spin, try either this album or 'Sailing the Seas of Cheese'.

russellk | 4/5 |