Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden CD (album) cover

IRON MAIDEN

Iron Maiden

UMUR
3 stars Iron Maidenīs debut album is one of the most prominent albums in the NWOBHM genre. Itīs a genre that combines the raw energy from punk with the seventies heavy metal sound of bands like Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy and Judas Priest. This was a new sound at the time and it quickly spawned a couple of very big bands like Iron Maiden and Saxon.

The music on the album is very raw and pretty unpolished helped by the raw vocals from Paul Di'Anno, and the rather primitive drums from Clive Burr. Both guitars and the very dominant bass from Steve Harris are very melodic and played at a fast tempo. There are a few tastes of the galloping rythm that Iron Maiden would be known for a couple a years later, but it is not prominent here. On Iron Maiden the punk influences still shine through very much especially on songs like Prowler, Sanctuary, Running Free and Iron Maiden. The more ballad like tracks Remember Tomorrow and Strange World comes close to seventies prog rock sounds. The most prog rock orientated songs here are Phantom of the Opera and Transylvania though. Charlotte the Harlot is a mid tempo heavy rocker.

The sound quality is the best there is on any NWOBHM album I know of so no complaints here. Iron Maiden is still rooted in the seventies with a nice organic sound.

My history with Iron Maiden started with Seventh son of a seventh son and I really like the first five albums with Bruce Dickenson on vocals, so I have never been a big fan of the two first Iron Maiden albums even though I understand their historic significance and fully respect that. This album just isnīt what I listen to when I want to listen to Iron Maiden, itīs a very good example of early eighties NWOBHM though and Iīll rate it 3 stars.

UMUR | 3/5 |