Rush - 2112 CD (album) cover

Rush

LinusW
Italian Prog Specialist
4 stars 4,25 stars

Aptly titled 2112 - since side 2 is overshadowed by its grandeur - I guess this is what many consider the first essential Rush album. Also the first one I picked up after some discussion with my father (another fan). At the time, 2112 (the song) just didn't do it for me, but side 2 was played over and over again.

From A Passage to Bangkok with its smoky, Eastern feeling, the mysterious, alluring The Twilight Zone, the powerhouse that is Something for Nothing to the smooth, yet rebellious Lessons. I was hooked. Couldn't stop. Repeated over and over and over again. Why, oh why! My life's greatest musical experience until I listened to A Farewell to Kings.

I won't make this review much longer, since it isn't necessary. Of course I fell in love with the 20 minutes of 2112 as well. Only natural progression. In my book one of the few epics that grabs your full attention all the time. It's perfect in every way, musically and with a story that's easy to follow and love. What keeps the album from a perfect 5 is Tears (not bad, but inferior to the quality of the rest of the album), but I can live with that.

If you haven't heard this album yet, you might as well sell a piece of your soul. A perfect gateway to the world of Rush if there ever was one, particularly if you're approaching it from the hard rock direction.

//Linus W