Frank Zappa - Freak Out! CD (album) cover

Frank Zappa

4 stars Frank Zappa's Freak Out was well ahead of it's time, and a good album to boot. Psychedelic Rhythm & Blues, with semi-classical elements, sound effects and a satirical element, which is displayed in of course funny lyrics, but more directly in the way the songs are performed. For me the outstanding element of this album is the creativity in the song writing, constant variation in organic (basic R&B) songs which constantly reminds me of earlier 50's and 60's songs.

As album I rate Freak Out quite high (certainly in historic perspective), but that doesn't mean the individual songs really stand out, it's an enjoyable album to listen, which will not bore for a moment. Highlights for me are Trouble Every Day, Hungry Freaks, Wowie Zowie and Motherly Love.

All in all a great debut album from a musical legend and his band.

tuxon | 4/5 |