Hatfield And The North - Hatfield And The North CD (album) cover

HATFIELD AND THE NORTH

Hatfield And The North

Canterbury Scene

UMUR
3 stars I´ve tried and tried to listen to this album but it just doesn´t do it for me the way I was expecting it to. You got all the right things here to make this a wonderfull Canterbury prog rock album though. Richard Sinclair just out of Caravan ready to do new things, Dave Stewart, Robert Wyatt and lots of other Canterbury faces to make this perfect but I think something is lacking in the songwriting department.

The music is in the jazzy Canterbury rock vein and mostly instrumental even though we´re treated with Richard Sinclair´s voice a couple of times on the album. The music is pleasant and every member gets his time to shine.

The production is very good and perfect for the music. Just typical soft Canterbury sound quality.

After many listens I kind of enjoy the album after all, but it´s not excellent in my ears and I´ll rate it 3 stars. I know this album is praised very much and I really wish I could cherish it more, but I guess you can´t win everytime. Maybe it´ll grow on me given time ? The quality in the music is definitely there, no question about it.

UMUR | 3/5 |