Gong - Radio Gnome Invisible Vol. 3 - You CD (album) cover

RADIO GNOME INVISIBLE VOL. 3 - YOU

Gong

Canterbury Scene

thellama73
3 stars I'm not a very big fan of Canterbury School Prog in general. It's too light and silly for my taste. However, I love long, trippy space rock pieces by artists such as Tangerine Dream and Ozric Tentacles. So I am a little conflicted about this album. The long instrumentals are great. Really spacey and great to chill out to late at night with a drink. If the album consisted of only these pieces I would give it four or maybe even five stars. They are really an excellent example of the style.

On the other hand, the short vocal pieces strike me as REALLY annoying. They completely ruin the mood of the record for me. Now granted, I haven't heard the previous two installments of this trilogy, so maybe there are important story points I am missing. But from a purely musical standpoint, I hate the vocals and the melodies that the vocals are singing. The most glaring example of this is in the awful A P.H.P.'s Advice (included twice on the remaster! Yay.) I would be interested to hear some of Hillage's solo stuff, if it is in the same vein, but overall I have no desire to hear other Gong records based on this one. Sorry, Canterbury fans.

thellama73 | 3/5 |