Virus - Carheart CD (album) cover

CARHEART

Virus

Experimental/Post Metal

UMUR
4 stars Virus is a project band for norwegian musician Czral ( Ved Buens Ende and Dødheimsgard) and this is the debut album Carheart. The style is very much in the same vein as Ved Buens Ende´s sole album Written in Waters, which was also very much Czral´s brainchild. On that one he was helped out by Vicotnik from Dødheimsgard though and Written In Waters had a lot of black metal influences. Carheart is more modern sounding than Written in Waters but Czral´s sense for desperate and strange vocals are still intact. Sometimes he reminds me of some of the darker new wave vocalists from bands like Bauhaus and Joy Division or maybe even a darker Nick Cave crooner.

The music is not conventional heavy metal and even though the members of Virus are deeply rooted in the norwegian black metal community Carheart doesn´t sound much like black metal either. The riffs are dissonant and not your conventional metal power riff or tremolo picking. The clearest influence I can hear is Voivod or maybe even some of the more dissonant King Crimson. Two other albums I would say is related to Carheart are Killing Joke´s Extremeties and various other Emotions and Morgoth´s Feel Sorry for the Fanatic. The overall mood in the music is that of desperation and despair which is emphazised really well by Czral´s vocals. Just listen to a song like It's All Gone Weird. The music is not very complex and relies much on dark emotions. The prog tendencies are not in complex structure but more in the whole concept and innovative nature of the music. Songs like Road and Hustler is a bit different than the rest of the songs as they delve more into post rock territory.

The musicians are very competent even though there is no particular need for that in this kind of music.

The production is dark and raw but a bit more polished than Ved Buens Ende if you compare those two.

I think Carheart will mostly appeal to post metal/ experimental metal fans and not black metal fans. Fans of Ved Buens Ende and Dødheimsgard should take a listen too. I think this album is really special and allthough I don´t think Virus is as innovative as Czral´s other bands Ved Buens Ende and Dødheimsgard I still consider Carheart to be an excellent addition to your prog rock/ metal collection. Not recommended to depressive minds though, this might bring you down even more. A sure 4 star album for me.

UMUR | 4/5 |