Bacamarte - Depois Do Fim CD (album) cover

3 stars A highly acclaimed album on our site and quite rightly so. This is top notch musicianship and folk related prog of the highest calibre. So why the low rating ? Well, above stated is the objective conclusion and opinion but my personal feeling is not really the same. The superfast guitar play gets on my nerves and is one of the most important reasons for this deviation in taste. And this fast playing is to be heard throughout the whole album. So it determaines the sound and style for this release and ruins most of the pleasure for me.

Other than that almost all other elements are at least ok I believe. The female vocalist Jane Duboc sings in a very decent way, the flute sounds very nice and the compositions are interesting due to complexity. So a very worthwhile listening experience if you go for this one. If you enjoy extremely fast acoustic and electric guitar with a sound that comes close to Allan Holdsworth (so not smooth but rather elaborate) you should check this out. This is pure prog and that explains the high spot in our top 100 of all times.

progrules | 3/5 |