Patchwork Cacophony - Five of Cups CD (album) cover

FIVE OF CUPS

Patchwork Cacophony

The Jester
4 stars Benjamin Bell is an English songwriter, keyboard player and multi-instrumentalist, and the mastermind behind Patchwork Cacophony, which is his personal project. Patchwork Cacophony released its debut album in 2014 and that was the first time I listened to their name and music. It was a mostly instrumental, keyboard-driven album, with nice melodic passages and some pretty interesting compositions. Currently, 2 years later since that release, Patchwork Cacophony is back with a new album, named Five of Cups. The official release date of the album was set for November 7th, and as far as I know, it will be available in digital and physical format respectively. Trying to compare these two albums, I must say that Five of Cups is a more "serious" and "mature" work. The compositions are better, more complexed (in a listenable way), and the overall outcome is better. Also, this time Ben is singing in most of the tracks. The album opens with the 16-minute-long Fairytale, a melodic and "proggy" composition in 4 parts which offers an initial idea of what is going to follow. And what follows is a well-structured album with lots of piano/keys stuff, beautiful melodies and memorable passages. Fairytale is followed by Choices, a rather "catchy" tune, which can be used as the album''s "hit" song. Then Counting Chickens comes; the only song that reminded me of Ben''s previous album. The next song is Maybe, is a rock tune, not based on keyboards, but including a beautiful guitar work instead. Another "catchy" tune. Every Day is one of my favourite songs from this album. A 9-minute long song, kind of melancholic, but so beautiful... Chasing Rainbows is an upbeat tune, which in my opinion is the "weakest" song of the album. It includes some nice moments, here and there, but nothing special. From the Spark is an instrumental piano tune, which is absolutely wonderful! A dreamy and melodic composition that I can't stop listening to! The album's final song is the 12-minute long Brand New Day which, along with Fairytale, constitute the "proggiest" songs of the album. One of my favourites without a doubt. So, let's sum up. Five of Cups is a really good and serious album, suitable for listeners with "open earminds"! It includes beautiful moments, some dreamy and melancholic tunes, and some rock and easy listening moments. The compositions are improved in comparison with the previous album and this is definitely a sign that Benjamin Bell is moving forward. All those who enjoyed Ben''s debut album should buy Five of Cups without a second thought. As for those who don't know him, maybe it is time to discover him and his music. My rating would be 3.5 out of 5.0 stars. Kudos to Ben! And once more: Why we can't have the option of giving half points as ratings? It is real pitty!
The Jester | 4/5 |