Frank Zappa - Hot Rats CD (album) cover

Frank Zappa

4 stars This is my first Zappa album, and I purchased it several weeks ago. I enjoy it a lot, as I have been discovering jazz music recently.

'Peaches in Regalia' is a catchy upbeat number. Short and inoffensive, serving as a good introduction. 'Willie the Pimp' is probably the highlight here. The song starts with a brilliant violin riff, before being joined by guitar and Beefheart's vocals. Once the amusing vocal section is over, Frank unleashes a guitar solo of EPIC proportions, spanninng the remainder of this 9 minute song (making the solo about 7 mins). 'Son of Mr. Green Genes' is a good piece that is reasonably complex. 'Little Umbrellas' is another short and pleasant piece like the opener. 'The Gumbo Variations' is probably the jazziest composition on the album, and really shows the talents of all the musicians involved on this track. 'It Must be a Camel' is my second favourite track on the album, and while having a relaxed mood, it is actually quite complex in musicianship and in structure.

This album has made me want to hear more Zappa, so I probably chose a good place to start with him. I will rate this record 4 stars.

burtonrulez | 4/5 |