Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire CD (album) cover

BIRDS OF FIRE

Mahavishnu Orchestra

Andrea Cortese
4 stars No one could really deny the importance and the appeal of this extraordinary album. Since its starting point the listener is subdued by arrogant electric guitar playing of McLaughlin even when it duets within violin. Simply wonderful. Nothing to say.

The only remark is that it's not on my list of the all time jazz-rock favourites just because it's not able to catch my attention until the end. Not that it means I dislike such fabulous composition. They make me shiver especially when acoustic guitar and piano softly whisper. Maybe is a light lack of variety. I don't know. That's not important, after all.

If you really wish to listen to something original, aggressively pure and involving jazz-rock with harder shaded guitar, violin and excellent but not of primarly importance keyboards, then this is one for you. A classic, indeeed. A must have in every respectable discography, if you want. And I'm proud to have my copy too.

Andrea Cortese | 4/5 |