Van Der Graaf Generator - Trisector CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

4 stars The present trio format seems to suit the band well. While Present sounded like a laid back recording made by old band mates getting together after so many years, it proved the magic was still there. Now, without Jackson, the approach is different, this is a different animal. Listening to Trisector it becomes apparent this is not a reunion, this is an active band. Gigging has done good and these old men play tight. Evans is beating the drums like ever and Hugh Banton is in a big role and does an excellent job. Peter Hammill and a guitar is a dangerous combination, but it works here. I'm sure it will get out of hand at times during the live shows, but isn't that what Hammill's work has always been about? Sometimes going over the edge is the only way to find out where exactly that edge was in the first place.

I wouldn't call any of the songs on the album weak, but for the sake of the whole a couple might have been better left out. Time might change my view on this one though. Especially the latter part of the album is killer material and fits perfectly together. At first listen I thought I had a rather mediocre effort in my hands, but the more I listen to it the more I like it. In my opinion, an excellent album and a must have for fans of the band. For the rest, this might be a bit too much and for newcomers one of the classic albums would be a better place to start. But Trisector is not a bad place to be.

kaibe | 4/5 |