Änglagård - Hybris CD (album) cover

2 stars Everyone says that ANGLAGARD is such a great band and I have always wondered why I can't appreciate them and now I know why: I miss the long lines in their music.

These guys want something new to happen all the time, nothing must last longer than four bars, which leads to that I find their music an aimless presenting of musical fragments without any mutual connection. The musical ideas come and go in an continuous flow but I find no themes that are elaborated and varied, no structure and wholeness. It's like a mosaic where every stone has a new colour and together they don't form any pattern.

It doesn't help then, that they are faboulus musicians, that they have a sound reminding of YES or GENESIS, that they can play sometimes delicately and sometimes at full throttle, that they have a beautiful flute here and there, that they can smoothly change tempo every fourth bar and that they know all the complex chords - it just falls flat.

If you think HENRY COW are too difficult, or if you find it sometimes hard to follow GENTLE GIANTS music, or if you find that JETHRO TULL's A Passion Play in some parts are overelaborated, or if you think KANSA'S 'The Spider' from Point of Know Return is too hard to digest, than you know what I mean.

Boluf | 2/5 |