Day Without Dawn - Understanding Consequences CD (album) cover

Day Without Dawn

Experimental/Post Metal

5 stars This is the best album from 2008 I heard so far!

Some albums find us (instead of more common case when we're searching for a particular album). I'd seen DWD added to PA, but didn't care to check them. Then a friend of mine had sent me a LastFM recommendation. I've checked their video there and it left me impressed. I began to search for this album, being more than intrigued with its background story. DWD were a post-THE POSTMAN SYNDROME/pre-BICLOPS band, and 'Understanding Consequences' was their debut but sadly post- humous full-length release. And when I finally got I wasn't too excited - lame cover artwork, short songs (judging from tracklist timing) and probably nothing special in it. I'm absolutely happy to say that I was wrong!

DAY WITHOUT DAWN can be described as a mixture of OCEANSIZE (arpeggi guitars and complex signatures), DREDG (melodic lines and tasteful rhythm-section), COHEED AND CAMBRIA (vocals and the whole alternative flavour) and to some point THE MARS VOLTA, PORCUPINE TREE and TOOL. But this description adds absolutely nothing to what this band really is. Thank God today we have LastFM and MySpace (where they have some free tracks) and anyone can check their stuff to get assured in their unique manner and approach. Each song varies in mood and character; it's hard to regard them as 'catchy', but the more you listen the better you like them! My favourities are 'The Undertide', 'The Wake', 'The Second-to-Last Page' and 'Your Diminutive Hand', but honestly, it's terribly hard to point out a single best track here. I've never liked winds, but unexpected trumpet solos here and there make this album even more eclectic and tasty! Yes, this is the word to describe it - it's TASTY.

This is simply one of the best Modern Prog album I've ever listened to! Anyone who's into Modern Prog MUST HAVE this record in his/her collection. Extremely recommended!

Prog-jester | 5/5 |