Radiohead - OK Computer CD (album) cover

OK COMPUTER

Radiohead

russellk
3 stars I might as well confess to you: I have no idea what all the fuss is about. Album of the 90s? Changed the face of rock? I just don't see it.

That's probably because I wasn't listening at the time. Immersed in the dance culture, bouncing madly between Orbital, Aphex Twin and Underworld, 'OK Computer' passed me by. I didn't hear a single track off this album until - gasp - two years ago. And I have to say, what I'm hearing doesn't rock my world.

So what do we have in this revolutionary package, then? A series of competent rock songs crooned by a lad who sounds like his voonerables are locked in a vice. The music is sharp, the sounds are lovely, and I have no doubt it is excellent alt/art rock - but I'm left completely unmoved. 'Paranoid Android' perhaps deserves the extravagant praise heaped on it, and the record does flow well, but to be honest I could live without it.

So who will enjoy this? I guess for those who were immersed in the alt rock of the 1990s, this album is indispensable. But it is a long way west of heartland progressive rock. Having listened to 'Kid A' I can see what prompted the inclusion of RADIOHEAD on this site. But as much as I appreciate the artistry and care for detail that went into this album, it leaves me cold.

Brrr.