Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve CD (album) cover

DESTROY ERASE IMPROVE

Meshuggah

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
4 stars Meshuggahīs second full length album is a real classic in the tech metal genre. The improvement since their debut Contradictions Collape is massive. I found the debut good but a bit too directionsless and at times too complex for the sake of it. Since then Meshuggah released the two EPs None and Selfcaged which was more simple, groovy and most importantly more memorable. It wasnīt until Destroy Erase Improve that I really understood what a special band Meshuggah really was though.

The music is still very complex metal rooted in the thrash sub-genre. Think Metallicaīs ...And Justice for All and then add lots of complex rythmic structures and aggression and youīre just about there. To top if off there are some really strange jazzy Holdsworth like soloing on the songs. Itīs really impressive and innovative too. Meshuggah has not made an album like this since and I havenīt heard anyone else who has made albums in this style. Most tech metal bands operate in the technical part of death metal even though thrash metal is much more suited for complex playing IMO.

There are many excellent songs on Destroy Erase Improve but I have to mention Future Breed Machine, Beneath and Soul Burn. I know this sounds like I havenīt listened to the rest of the album as these are the first three songs but itīs not true I just think these songs are the best. Especially the sure live favorite Future Breed Machine is really powerful and complex. There are no weak songs on this album though.

The production is really good and helps emphazise the aggressive nature of the songs. Itīs a very cold and brutal sound. I love it.

Allthough this is an excellent and classic album from Meshuggah itīs only a 4 star album for me, as I feel they became even better with the more repetitive and brutal style they introduced on Chaosphere. Destroy Erase Improve is not to be missed though as itīs highly recommendable.

UMUR | 4/5 |