Dream Theater - Live At The Marquee CD (album) cover

LIVE AT THE MARQUEE

Dream Theater

UMUR
4 stars Dream Theaterīs first live album Live at the Marquee is a good introduction to early Dream Theater. At the time of the release in 1993 I was a big fan of Dream Theater. Images and Words was one of my favorite albums that year so I was happy to learn that Dream Theater had made a live album.

The songs are played to perfection as weīve come to expect from Dream Theater and there isnīt room for improvisation within the structures of the arranged songs. This is something they have changed a bit since then. There is a live jam song though called Bombay Vindaloo which is a vehicle for a John Petrucci guitar solo. The three songs from Images and Words: Metropolis Part I, Surrounded and Pull Me Under are great live songs. Funny enough when you know my feelings toward semi-ballad type songs I really think Surrounded sounds really inspired in this version. Maybe it is due to the fact that this was at the time James Labrieīs favorite song from Images and Words. His performance here is outstanding. The most exciting part of Live at the Marquee is the inclusion of two songs from When Dream and Day Unite though. Itīs really great to hear James Labrie sing these songs instead of Charlie Dominici. Especially A Fortune In Lies is a really excellent song.

The musicianship is astonishing if you take a listen. This live album is completely flawless and most people might think itīs too flawless. I must admit I could use a bit more crowd noise to get me in the right mood, but in that respect this is a cold album. I have seen Dream Theater live a couple of times and both times I was disappointed about James Labrieīs performance as I felt he screamed too much when he couldnīt reach the high notes but on this album he sings really well which of course is alfa omega. This unfortunately makes me a bit suspicious though. Is this really a live recording in front of a crowd?

The sound quality is good, but the rythm guitar needs a little more power and there isnīt enough bass for my taste. But otherwise itīs pretty good.

Allthough my interest in Dream Theater has cooled a lot over the years I still hold both Images and Words and Awake in high regard. Live at the Marquee is a great addition to those beatiful progressive metal albums Dream Theater made early in their career. I wouldnīt call it excellent but it is definitely above average and I think it is closer to 4 stars than 3. Therefore I will give Live at the Marquee 4 small stars.

UMUR | 4/5 |