Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio CD (album) cover

ROCK IN RIO

Iron Maiden

Prog Leviathan
4 stars It's hard for me to imagine a more energetic, exciting night of Maiden-metal than is displayed throughout this excellent album, or live release in general for that matter.

For fans of the band, it's a must have. The set-list is (with only 1-2 exceptions) outstanding, featuring highlights from Brave New World as well as a few greatest hits from their extensive library. I don't feel that the music itself especially needs to be discussed, since those interested in a live offering are no doubt familiar, but I will say that each of these versions of the band's material are positively ON FIRE. Bruce's vocals retain their dynamic power, and as a show-man he is second to none. He dramatically introduces each song and rallies the energetic Brazilian crowd throughout-- just wait until The Trooper or The Evil That Men Do start up! The axe-men are just as good; I have not heard guitar playing that kinesthetizes body and mind like Murray/Gers/Smith; their shredding and solos positively give off sparks. I like listening to this album when working late-- it's better than stay-alert pills and black coffee combined.

Great stuff; everything a live-album should be!

Setlist 4 Instrumental Performances 4 Stage Energy 5 Live Experience 5