Fish - Sunsets On Empire CD (album) cover

SUNSETS ON EMPIRE

Fish

silmarillion
5 stars Probably the greatest Fish album. Very original. A few masterpieces: Jungle Ride, What Colour is God, and of course The ballad of Johnny Punter. A couple of weak spots here and there. but quickly forgiven. I always loved Fish's voice and lyrics, he produced a few good albums (vigil, i.exiles), but this is the first time I was so impressed with the quality of the music and the production - as I later discovered Porcupine Tree I now understand Steven Wilson may be the reason.

Exceptional songs (5/5): Johnny Punter, What Colour is God, Jungle Ride.

Great songs (4/5): Goldfish and Clowns (a rare moment in Fish solo career when I could hear Marillion), Worm in a Bottle, Brother 52, Sunsets on Empire.

Good songs (3/5): Tara.

Average songs (2/5): Change of Heart, Say it with Flowers.

Weak songs (1/5): None.

Desastrous songs (0/5): None.

Overall 4.5/5. A must have. If you want just one Fish album this is the one. No doubt.

silmarillion | 5/5 |