Robert Wyatt - Old Rottenhat  CD (album) cover

OLD ROTTENHAT

Robert Wyatt

Canterbury Scene

Mellotron Storm
4 stars It took only one listen to know i had found something very special. And i think it goes to show what a talent Robert Wyatt is, that with only his vocals and keyboards(for the most part), he left me overjoyed with what I was listening to. I am so impressed with this record ! It kind of reminded me of David Sylvian, mainly in the way that the vocals are the focus, and i'm a big fan of Wyatt's singing. I actually enjoyed this more than "Rock Bottom" although I much prefer the lyrics to that one over what's on "Old Rottenhat".

"Alliance" is the song that reminds me of David Sylvian the most. It's slow paced with vocals and keys,with a keyboard solo to end it. Excellent track. "The U.S. Of America" opens with drums as vocals come in. His vocals are double tracked for the most part. There are keys throughout and even some whistling. Another great song. "East Timor" is so catchy with vocal lines and keyboard lines repeated throughout. "Speechless" is surprise,surprise an instrumental. Keys and light drums on this one. Probably my least favourite up to this point. I want Robert's vocals thankyou. "The Age Of Self" is a bright and catchy tune. I can't help but move when this one's playing.

"Vandalusia" is a slow paced, drifting track that is very mellow. "The British Road" features loud percussion after a minute with double tracked vocals. Love this tune too. "Mass Medium" is my least favourite song on the album. It opens with a music box playing, then keys and vocals take over in this slow paced tune. "Gharbzadegi" opens with keys as percussion comes in and continues throughout. I really like the vocals on this one, especially 2 and 4 minutes in. Another fantastic song. "P.L.A." opens with a music box as vocals and a wash of keys take over. This is such a charming little tune.

For me this is a solid 4 stars and one of my favourite Wyatt albums ever.

Mellotron Storm | 4/5 |