Frank Zappa - Bongo Fury CD (album) cover

BONGO FURY

Frank Zappa

RIO/Avant-Prog

Slartibartfast
4 stars My very first Frank Zappa album.

Not sure what possessed me to buy the thing other than, liking the Zappa I had heard so far. I think if I had heard this one first, I might have passed. Got it with Selling England By The Pound. A bit of an odd couple, but maybe not so much so considering it was the first Genesis album where they snuck in some humor. Of course, as it almost always is on a typical Zappa album, Frank jam packs his albums with humor. Also, Chester Thompson is present on two songs, and he went on to do tours with Genesis.

This is not album I'd recommend to someone just beginning to explore his work. By that time I had a pretty well developed weird sense of humor, so this one didn't wind up on my shelf gathering dust. The somewhat raunchy lyrics (Carolina Hard-Core Ecstasy) helped some, too, as I was pretty much your typical teenaged male. I'm not a big Captain Beefheart fan to this day, but I really the two "poems" Sam With the Showing Scalp Flat Top and Man With the Woman Head certainly cracked me up. Cucamonga is my favorite track despite it's short length.

Bottom line, Frank does a good live album and this one's no exception, though not my favorite.

Slartibartfast | 4/5 |