Red Sand - Mirror Of Insanity CD (album) cover

MIRROR OF INSANITY

Red Sand

UMUR
3 stars Red Sand is a Marillion Clone, but one of the better ones. The singer is imitating Fish and itīs kind of embarressing at times, IMO he should try and sound like himself instead. He has an ok voice. There are three long epic tracks and a short closing one. The long tracks are very fragmented and seems like they are made up of many shorter songs or sections which has an annoying effect on me. When you make epics I like it when it feels like one long song and not several short songs put together to make an epic. It seldom works for me. Of course there are exceptions ( Supperīs Ready for instance is great).

The musicians are very good and as this is neo prog you notice the keyboardist most of course. He has a style very similar to Mark Kelly from Marillion even though Stephane Desbiens is more in the forefront than Mark Kelly is on most Marillion material. The guitarist also reminds me of Steve Rothery from Marillion. His bends and generally melodic approach is very much in the same vein. The drums also sounds like Marillion.

The sound quality sounds like itīs made in the eighties. If you like thin eighties productions this will go down well. I like the production on Mirror Of Insanity, but donīt expect anything that sounds like it is made in 2004.

Overall Mirror of Insanity is a very good album, even though Red Sand wears their influences on their sleeves. Being a giant Fish era Marillion fan I just canīt help liking this anyway. There are many enjoyable moments on Mirror of Insanity, but it never reaches excellent in my ears though which is mostly due to the clone factor I reckon. Iīll stretch myself and give Mirror of Insanity 3 stars as it is a good album. Just donīt expect anything you havenīt heard before.

UMUR | 3/5 |