Van Der Graaf Generator - H To He, Who Am The Only One CD (album) cover

H TO HE, WHO AM THE ONLY ONE

Van Der Graaf Generator

Cifrocco
4 stars I won't go into any eloquent detail, just a very brief summary of my The cover artwork is very poor, but this is otherwise a fantastic album. Killer is exactly that, a killer song with great hooks. House With No Door is a beautiful ballad, I like how Peter hits the higher octaves. The Emperor In His War Room is an epic masterpiece. I really enjoy Lost, too, although Pioneers Over C is a little all over the place and lacks the melodic segments found in the previous tracks. The extra fishy tracks (Squid 1, 2, Octopus) on the remastered CD are excellent, very jazzy.

The Pawn Hearts album seems to be almost unanimously considered their crowning achievement, but I have listened to their first 5 albums and I find Pawn Hearts the weakest, although by no means awful. In order of preference I would say 1. H to He, 2. The Least We Could Do..., 3. Aerosol, 4. Godbluff, 5. Pawn Hearts. Looking forward to the next 5 releases!

Cifrocco | 4/5 |