Frank Zappa - Hot Rats CD (album) cover

Frank Zappa

5 stars Frank Zappa's Hot Rats is a fantastic progressive jazz album and is indicative of future post-Mothers albums to come. the album opens with Peaches en Regalia, one of Zappa's better known jazz songs, and one of my favorites. The song is clean, and straight to the point, and although alittle short, gets the job done. Willie The Pimp features good old Captain Beefheart's vocals which is always fun. This a song in a true zappa sense. The lyrics are fun, and it features a fantastic guitar solo. Son of Green Genes is a reference to Mr. Green Genes of Zappa Past. This is a fun song and certainly has its moments. And while i may be skipping Little Umbrellas, I think The Gumbo Variations are a fantastic jazz piece, and while some people think it is too long, I disagree. I think the length of the song gives the artists the perfect time to really explore the jazz, and some of the solos are fantastic. It must be a camel is a good song, and a good closer to the album. Overall, this is one of my favorite Zappa albums, and definitely an album to jump into if you aren't familiar with Zappa's many MANY works.
kem828 | 5/5 |