Rush - 2112 CD (album) cover

2112

Rush

UMUR
3 stars I have been a bit harsh in my reviews of the first three album from Rush as they have never done that much for me, but with this fourth album Rush begin to show why they are so highly regarded in the progressive rock world. There were progressive tendencies on Caress of Steel and on Fly By Night but nothing like on 2112.

The album consists of the long epic title track which lasts for 20:34 minutes and is definitely the most progressive song here and then five shorter songs which filled out the original LPīs side 2. Itīs the epic title track that holds the biggest excitement for me but I also like both A passage to Bangkok and The Twilight Zone. The three last songs are not really that exciting, but they donīt annoy me either. Lessons and Something for Nothing are pretty decent rock songs while Tears is a cheesy ballad. The title track is unfortunately not one long building song but rather shorter songs put together to form a long one. Itīs not my favorite style when I want to listen to epics but it works ok here.

The musicianship is of course astonishing and I especially enjoy Neil Peartīs drumming on the title track which is beginning to take form. Geddy Leeīs vocals are also excellent and at times pretty aggressive in their own high pitched right. Alex Lifeson is as always melodic and fills out any empty space with open chords or beautiful soloing.

The production is very good, but itīs not so surprising really as Rush have always had good productions.

I canīt say 2112 is my favorite Rush album, but it is the album where Rush becomes really progressive IMO and there are many great moments on 2112. Iīll rate this album 3 stars as I donīt feel 2112 is excellent but itīs certainly very good.

UMUR | 3/5 |