Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom CD (album) cover

ROCK BOTTOM

Robert Wyatt

Canterbury Scene

clarke2001
5 stars If you are shy person, stay away from this album. This one is so intimate that a listener feels almost uncomfortable.

Of course, that will be revealed only after repeated listening. It is difficult to digest, and it might sound like a set of whimsical noodlings. This is the album that took the longest time period before I started to really appreciate it. And then, the beauty starts to reveal itself; between each note. Between two integers, an infinity of beauty, emotion, so dense and desperate. Honestly, I don't trust Mr. Wyatt (and I'm not sure if anyone does) when he says songs on Rock Bottom weren't influenced by his personal tragedy. But that's the issue I won't be mentioning again.

The songs are based around piano, and could be appreciated both as a meditative concept and as a evolving, multi-layered body that it's rewarding to observe; in both cases - the lowest common denominator will be an emotion, bordering on madness. It will take you to the extremes: while nit not nit not and Wyatt's desperate, deep chords will bring you to the edge of sanity; mellow, minimalistic synth layers will make you wish to hug this little big album next to your heart, like a wounded dove.

We are taking for granted some things, without realizing how lucky we are. The little blue planet just happened to be on a right place and of perfect size to provide life. And this album also - it just happened, all the parameters were fine, now we can treasure it forever.

clarke2001 | 5/5 |