Frank Zappa - Hot Rats CD (album) cover

Frank Zappa

5 stars Hot Rats was released in 1969, a great year for prog-rock and all music in general. This is one of my favourite Frank Zappa albums. I reccommend it to all the people who wants to discover the genius of Zappa. I find it hard to say that Hot Rats is prog, like the most F.Z. records, it can't be put on a particular kind of music, at least I could say this is a jazz-rock album, to give an idea to those which don't know Hot Rats. The musicians are powerful, especially Ian Underwood's awesome talent. Jean Luc Ponty gives one of his best performances on the song It Must Be A Camel. Zappa shows his great ability as composer and fantastic guitarist. Probably Hot Rats is the first real mature work by Frank Vincent Zappa... and it is the first one without The Mothers Of Invention. The greatness of this album, in my opinion, is that it is complex and accessible at one time. If you have only gave it a listen and you think you don't like it, I advise you hear it one more time, and one again, maybe you will discover a masterpiece. That's my experience with this album, when I got it about 15 years ago... now I think it is essential.
Civa | 5/5 |